Aloha and Hello! My name is Genevieve, but I am also known as: Jenny. (The difference in spelling tends to confuse people). Genevieve is more often pronounced “Guinevere, Geneva, Gwynevieve, or some other variation. I was even called “Tel Aviv” once, if you can believe it!
Anyway, I am excited to have a blog space! I have always loved to write. I used to keep a journal when I was in high school. Every time I couldn’t sleep or had a lot on my mind, I would get up and write. It was a great way for me to clear my head, write down my thoughts, and eventually go to sleep after a long day. Some might think me a nerd too, but I had that favorite pen (I think everyone has one) and my favorite journal and would simply write when I had a lot to say. Over the years, of course, life took over. I didn’t have as much time to write in between working as a high school English teacher, being a military wife, and now a mommy of two girls. I have been wanting to start a blog for several years now, but I found every excuse not to sit down and actually create one. Not being very tech saavy either, I feared the actual process. I recently purchased a “Blogging Essential” tool equipped with e-books and other resources to help me get my blog started. “Life with Genevieve.com” was created in a week.
Why Blog and give up my favorite pen?
I’ve had the privilege of meeting some of the best and most unique people in my lifetime so far. Listening to some of their life stories have inspired me and motivated me. But, as I continue to meet new friends wherever I go (and wherever the Army sends my hubby and family), I realize I have some crazy, wonderful, amazing stories of my own I can share. If I can help that mommy who is going through motherhood for the first time with a colicky child, help a woman who dealing with severe hormonal acne, be a friend to someone going through loneliness from having a spouse deployed, or be relatable to any person who understands that life is an adventure and always changing. I would like to share my own life stories and hope that it bring inspiration, support, motivation or comfort from the things I’ve experienced in my own life. My writing won’t jump out of the pages of my journal, but maybe blogging will eventually reach just the right person it needs to reach.
FUN FACTS about me:
- I am a lefty and proud of it! Left Handers Day is official!
- I still have Curious George my stuffed animal monkey my Dad gave me when I was 2 years old. George has traveled everywhere with me and I still care for it fondly. No matter where I have moved, Curious George has gone with me and has never been packed away in a box. My daughters now sleep with George, but he’s still my stuffed animal.
- I am an animal lover! I cannot watch the ASPCA or shelter commercials, they tear me up EVERY time! But, I do donate each month to my local shelter and to a wonderful place in Tennessee called A Place to Bark. (aplacetobark.com)
- I love to binge watch the Hallmark Channel for all of their romantic movies. This hopeless romantic could spend all day watching!
- Being a military “brat”, I have moved around in my young life. I attended 2 different elementaries, one middle school, and two high schools. I can say I have friends from all over the United States and abroad. I also had the privilege of studying abroad in my sophomore year of college. In that semester of living in London, England, I also got to backpack through Europe. I can say I’ve eaten Belgium chocolates in Belgium, petted a hairy coo in Edinburgh, Scotland, called my parents in North Carolina from the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France, seen the Queens Crown Jewels in the Tower of London, sat with Rodin’s “The Thinker” when he was on display in Paris, walked through a cold snowy Vienna, and rode the gondola through the canals of Venice. I am grateful that I have been able to travel to various countries, see various places, and live in different states. It has been an amazing experience.
Three pieces to my heart: My Hubby, Chuck, and Izzy
I tell everyone that my husband is so much cooler than I’ll ever be! He has done some cool things in the Army and I am a very proud military spouse!. We’ve been together 12 years and just celebrated 10 years of marriage on July 8, 2016. Five deployments, 2 kids, and 3 military moves and we are still loving this crazy, beautiful life together! He still makes me laugh after all these years!
Charlize is my New Years baby! I tell her every year that everyone throws a party on her birthday, complete with fireworks and confetti. She’s my smart,easy going, funny girl, who laughs easily and often.
Izzy is my summer baby! She is getting bigger but is still every bit my baby. She loves “huggies and kissies” and while I know that will change, I’m enjoying it while I can.
My little Wahines have adjusted well to this PCS move to Hawaii.
And that’s me..
I am a daughter, sister, wife, mom, and friend, to some of the best people in this world! I am looking forward to sharing some of my crazy life with you all and hopefully make a friend along the way!