Another new year is here! I like this time of refreshing and renewing and reflecting. I used to try to make goals, lists, resolutions, but like most people, I fell short after a few months and never really met those goals in a year.
I discovered the One Word concept at the start of 2015. It was the idea that words had power. Using one word and meditating on that word all year can bring “personal change and spiritual transformation-one that was doable, memorable, effect and stuck”
At the time, my Hubby was deployed and I was working my skincare business with Rodan +Fields. I had two young girls at the ages of 2 and 4 and they fully understood that Daddy was leaving for 9 months of that year. I needed some direction. The first book I read was by Mike Ashcraft and Rachel Olse: My One Word: Change your life with just one word . After praying about it and really seeking God hoping to hear a word for the year, I heard: FOCUS. I focused more on what was important in my life then and that was on my girls. We went through a lot of changes that year and I felt God led me to FOCUS on my family, especially my children.
The beginning of 2016 was great! My hubby returned home from a deployment mid January! But 2016 was about to bring a very big PCS move to Hawaii and we still needed time to readjust as a family again after a deployment. I discovered and read another book called “One Word That Will Change Your Life“. This time, I felt God telling me to have CONFIDENCE in Him, CONFIDENCE in myself, CONFIDENCE that God had everything under control and it would work out. I also felt that I needed CONFIDENCE professionally with my business. I had a lot of self-doubt about my abilities. I used some great scriptures that year to help meditate on this word: Confidence.
As 2017 approached, I really didn’t hear any one word. At the end of last year I was seeking out new projects (like this blog) and learning new things like (taking and editing video with my new GoPro Hero Session 5), and reading about following my dreams from the book I was reading: Chase the Lion by Mark Batterson. I thought God was maybe telling me to carry on with my dreams and passions to start new things. But, when I started praying and really trying to listen, and think about what this new year might bring, I believe I heard the word: Follow.
Follow Him…Follow His lead and guidance in all that you do.
Follow His Word and really use that has your guide for what He has planned for you.
Follow…through with the things you started last year.
Just continue to…Follow me.
Some scriptures I collected to help me with my word:
- John 8:12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you FOLLOW me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.
- John 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice. I know them and they FOLLOW me.
- Deuteronomy 13:4 MSG You are to follow only God, your God, hold him in deep reverence, keep his commandments, listen obediently to what he sways, serve him-hold on to him for dear life!
I was reading through a dear friend’s blog recently and came across some links to some other Christian writers and resources. There were two apps I downloaded on my iPhone (compatible with Android as well) that I have loved to help me follow and read God’s Word everyday and help me to spend that quality time with Him. Here are the two apps I downloaded: First5 and She Reads Truth (She Reads Truth is a website with so much more on books, scriptures, and bible plans to help you with your walk with God daily)
You don’t have to start at the beginning of the year to have one word (if you are reading this and its midway through the year, it doesn’t matter when you start). If you are seeking true change over your life, I encourage you to allow God to tell you what word is for you.
I took notes last year to help me find my one word: Confidence.
Hopefully this will help you as well from “One Word That Will Change Your Life”
- Allow your word to morph. Allow God to transform it into something you didn’t expect.
- Let it move beyond the initial reason for which you chose it.
- You may be tempted to abandon the project or pick a new word. Don’t quit! Don’t give up, let it morph.
- Pray and ask God to expand your vision for your word. Consider what else it could apply to.
- Ask God to convict you where you need it but haven’t yet realized it.
- Change is possible, but focus is required. Remain focused on your one word and open to discover what you may have overlooked. Consider what God could have in mind for you this year with this one word.
Hold me accountable as I journey through 2017 and FOLLOW… and of course let me know what ONE WORD you got for this year? Head over to my Facebook page Life with Genevieve and if you feel comfortable share your ONE word with me.
We can encourage each other!